Jesmonite is a composite material used in fine arts, crafts, and construction.
I have researched many contemporary designers who have all been talking about jesmonite. At the Surface Design show it was also made apparent how versatile the substance can be and also is a great alternative to concrete.
After hearing lots of good reports from others i had to trial it for myself. I made some small sample moulds using the recommended mixture amounts.
- Measure out 1 part liquid and 2.5 parts powder
- Start to mix straight away as the combination reacts quickly
- Pour mixture into moulds and leave to set
- After 15-30 minutes the surface can be manipulated to mould like plaster
- Leave to set for 24-48 hours
- In the first experiment i sprinkled in some tie dye powdered pigment
- In the second i stirred in some marble ink