Silicon Mold

In order to create some resin sample pieces, I needed a mold to work from. I wanted to create one of my own then I could choose the size and would be able to re use for other material experiments.

Silicone Mold

  1. Cut piece of MDF to size for the base of the mold.thumb_IMG_3703_1024.jpg
  2. Coat with lacquer/ wax oil
  3. Collect large board, 4 wood pieces and 4 clamps
  4. Box the boards around the MDF piece allowing about 1cm either side and clamp in place.
  5. Seal corners of the box with clay to prevent and liquid silicone from escaping.
  6. Mix up the silicone powder and glue
  7. Pour silicone mix into mold (try to pour from as high as possible to reduce air bubbles in the silicone)
  8. Leave to set for about an hour and a half.
  9.  clamps, box and board.



  1. Put on gloves and goggles
  2. Turn on ventilation
  3. Measure resin and catalyst hardener ratio 20:1
  4. Pour into a container and mix thoroughly
  5. Pour mixed resin into a mold
  6. Leave to set for approximately 3 hours
  7. Once dry, remove resin from mold carefully with tongs as will still be slightly sticky.
  8. Place on metal tray and put in the oven (in metal workshop) for about 20 minutes to cure thoroughly.

Glass Experiments

  • I began by laying out the equipment onto the table; Board, ruler, scalpel, scrap glass pieces
  • As this was my first time in making glass samples I chose to use some small pieces of scrap glass to practice with.
  • I practiced using the glass cutter on a few piece and cut them down to a size I felt comfortable with.
  • I tried to cut piece to the same size so it would be easier to lay on top of each other.
  1. I selected a piece of glass and layed flat on the board.
  2. Next I chose what I wanted to put on it. – As this was more about experimenting I wanted to try as many different things as I could.
  3. I sprinkled in different coloured glass pigment and tried to play with quantities and positioning of it on the glass.
  4. I also tried some coloured tubes and some small glittered stones.
  5. Once positioned I then layed the top piece of glass onto each sample.
  6. I put them into the kiln for 3 days to fuse.
  7. Once out I ran them under water and cleaned up.


For my first attempt I think they turned out quite well. There was lots of variety in the colour intensities and some worked better than others. The coloured tubes seemed to almost melt and were very faint. The darker colours definitely worked better and I think the higher quantities of pigment made the colour more prominent.

My favourite sample is this black glass one. I really like the air bubbles and I think breaking the coloured pigment up gives off a much nicer effect.

Jo Nagasaka


Jo Nagaska is a Designer from Tokyo. I came across his work on the Dezeen website and I was intrigued to find out more. Initially what stood out for me was the use of bright colours integrated with the natural marks of the grain in the wood. Having been working a lot with wood myself I was excited to find out some more about how he creates these beautiful pieces.

He begins by peeling away parts of the wood to reveal the underneath grains. He then coats the wood with bright coloured resin. The resin ‘transforms the uneven texture of the wood into a smooth and practical surface’.

I have fallen in love with these coffee table designs and it has given me some ideas of how I could move my designs forward. Jo Nagaska has made me think about the possibilities of incorporating resin with the wooden blocks I made. Having made lots of different material samples I feel that the next step forward for me is to combine some of them to see what I can create.